Aldborough Primary School 2019/20
What problems were in your school and how did you identify them?
A high number of children with EAL resulting in the school focusing on ensuring all children can access and build on their learning. A focus on providing language rich experiences.
What actions did you take?
- Developed our wider curriculum so it was embedded with reading and language.
- Effective training for all staff resulting in a consistent and embedded approach in the development of language.
- Continued oracy training for all staff to develop spoken and written language.
- Developed classroom environments so that they promoted good oracy skills and allowed children to be supported with the development of English at all levels.
- Children ran a social action campaign to develop reading for enjoyment. This resulted in a higher level of engagement from parents and children and a school-wide love of reading.
- Provided training for older children to support younger children with their comprehension and vocabulary through being a reading buddy.
What were the outcomes?
- Clear enjoyment of reading across the school.
- Actions resulted in progress scores being well above national averages.