Education is important and can help you on your way to future success. If you have insecure immigration status you may be unable to continue learning.

Immigration Bail and ‘No Study’ Conditions

If you have no legal status but have just made your first application to the Home Office, you’ll be on immigration bail. This means that while you wait for their response, what you can and cannot do is restricted. Immigration bail comes with rules attached – including the ‘no study’ condition. In such cases, you won’t be allowed to attend college/sixth form and university.

If you’re a young person who has been granted ‘immigration bail’ with a ‘no study’ condition attached, get legal advice as early as possible.

Attending college

You may not be able to attend college if you do not have any legal status.

If you are hoping to go to college and require financial assistance you must show that you have lawful status. In addition, you will be required to show three years of lawful residence prior to the start date of your course.

You may not be able to study at college if you have been given a ‘no study condition’.

You can get more information about access to 'further education' from Coram Children's Legal Centre.

Attending university

You may find you’re unable to attend university while preparing your UCAS forms. This may be because you didn’t know about your insecure immigration status or have been given a ‘no study condition’.

To qualify for student finance, you must meet the ‘long residence’ criteria. This means that you must prove you have lived in the UK for at least half your life and have three years of legal residence. You must meet this criteria from 1 September of the academic year your course starts.

You can find out more about student finance from the Let Us Learn campaign.


Some scholarships are available for those who don’t meet the ‘long residence’ criteria, but do have status such as limited leave to remain.

Find out more about scholarships from the Let Us Learn campaign.

Share this page