Safe or Trusted Adults

MQT on 2018-12-20
Session date: 
December 20, 2018
Question By: 
Jennette Arnold OBE
Labour Group
Asked Of: 
The Mayor


Hamida Ali of Croydon Council recently stated to the Police and Crime Committee that children caught up in serious youth violence lacked a safe or trusted adult. What is being done to address this and to make sure children in London are not left without an advocate when dealing with the system?


Answer for Safe or Trusted Adults
Safe or Trusted Adults

Safe or Trusted Adults

Answered By: 
The Mayor

Whenever the police detain a child or young person (aged 10 to 17), or interview them as a voluntary attender, they must inform an appropriate adult as soon as is practicable and ask them to attend. It is the responsibility of local authorities to provide appropriate adults for children and young people. The appropriate adult’s role is to protect the interests of the child or young person.

MOPAC commissions a range of services, including advocates, that support young victims of crime. MOPAC are also in the process of commissioning a specialist victim and witness service for children and young people which will provide support through the criminal justice system, in addition to specialist provision.