In the last few months I've had a number of complaints about the poor state of facilities at the above station raised by local residents, local councillors and the latest list of the following issues raised by a local public transport users association is set out below. Unfortunately, little or no progress has been made to resolve the complaints so I've been specifically asked to raise these with you to resolve the outstanding problems speedily. If further explanation or a site visit is required, I'd be happy to arrange this with the residents/local group.
The poor condition of the toilets next to P1 and early closing.
Concern over wheelchair users exiting trains with no station staff available to deploy the ramp and train crews have to do this, thus delaying the services.
The `Harrow` entrance:
People often wait here for taxis or pick-up: no sign advising them to go to the Wealdstone entrance.
The entrance and car park are poorly lit
Pedestrians have to dodge in between cars to access and leave the station. Some sort of Zebra-type hatching for pedestrian routes is suggested.
Graffiti on the road bridge which is visible from the platforms is not cleared within a reasonable time.
The 'Wealdstone` entrance:
a General appearance feels threatening and not welcoming.
b. The Ticket machines are "not user friendly".
c. The entrance is very poor.
5. The Lift to P1 is frequently `out of order`.
6. The `way out` sign towards Wealdstone at the top of P6 is still covered up.
7. The sign at the top of P4 & P5 stairs showing `Gatwick/ Brighton` has been covered, but there is no indication as to where to go for Clapham Junction and Croydon trains. The overbridge for passengers has security tape on several windows to protect them from falling out - passing trains cause them to open. Also, the floor of the bridge shakes when trains pass underneath - very disconcerting.
8. Platform 2/3 waiting room is unheated and in poor condition. The floor is often wet and slippery.
9. Bakerloo service: When trains are not going to Elephant & Castle but to the depot just before, the train describer shows `London Road` which means nothing to passengers - it's not a station. The Describers should show `Waterloo`.
10. "Suicide gates" on P.2/3 & 4/5: Whilst understanding why installed, problems arise when a train calls and no staff member unlocks the gate(s).