Working ClassRepresentation in the Creative Industries

Meeting: 
MQT on 2017-08-10
Session date: 
August 10, 2017
Reference: 
2017/3375
Question By: 
Fiona Twycross
Organisation: 
Labour Group
Asked Of: 
The Mayor
Category: 

Question

Your recent working paper on the creative industries found that 95% of creative economy jobs are filled by people from more advantaged groups, leaving just 5% of jobs filled by less advantaged groups. What action are you taking to address this imbalance?

Answer

Answer for Working ClassRepresentation in the Creative Industries

Answer for Working ClassRepresentation in the Creative Industries

Answered By: 
The Mayor

London is the global capital for culture and the creative industries. The sector contributes £42bn a year and accounts for one in six jobs in the capital.

I am determined to do everything in my power as Mayor to improve diversity in the workforce, including from more disadvantaged groups.

I have vowed to make London the best place in the world in which to work by tackling low pay, improving workplace conditions and boosting diversity across employers of all sizes and sectors in the capital, for example through my new 'Good Work Standard'. The Standard aims to promote economic fairness and make London the best place in the world to work.

Within the creative workforce specifically, I have asked my Cultural Leadership Board to explore how the sector can improve diversity.

Working Class Access to Culture