Static Vehicle Pollution

Meeting: 
MQT on 2017-01-18
Session date: 
January 18, 2017
Reference: 
2017/0260
Question By: 
Len Duvall OBE
Organisation: 
Labour Group
Asked Of: 
The Mayor
Category: 

Question

One of the biggest contributors to pollution is static vehicle traffic over long periods of time. What actions do you propose over the coming years to keep traffic moving?

Answer

Answer for Static Vehicle Pollution

Answer for Static Vehicle Pollution

Answered By: 
The Mayor

Around 75 per cent of traffic congestion in London can be attributed to more demand, particularly at peak times, than the street network is capable of accommodating. The remaining 25 per cent is generally due to specific incidents or events.  My approach to reducing congestion and improving air quality not only includes measures to improve the operation of the street network, but also to change the way people, and goods, travel. 

 

To target the immediate congestion problems facing London, I have outlined a series of measures to make streets more efficient right now. This includes improved communication with road users, better coordination of roadworks and the use of tools to manage congestion in specific areas.

 

In the longer term, it is vital that we enable more trips to be made on foot, by cycle and using public transport, reducing the need for Londoners to be dependent on cars.

 

To achieve this, I am putting the Healthy Streets Approach at the heart of TfL’s work, as recently outlined in ‘Healthy Streets for London’. How this approach will be applied across London’s transport and development work will be further explained in my forthcoming Transport Strategy.