HS2 (8)

Meeting: 
MQT on 2015-07-15
Session date: 
July 15, 2015
Reference: 
2015/2263
Question By: 
Andrew Dismore
Organisation: 
Labour Group
Asked Of: 
The Mayor
Category: 

Question

What is TfL's current assessment of the likely preferred starting points and destinations in London of passengers using HS2 and their likely numbers, and which hub would best serve them?

Answer

Answer for HS2 (8)

Answer for HS2 (8)

Answered By: 
The Mayor

It is forecast that 70 per cent of people using HS2, whose origin or destination is in Greater London, will access HS2 at Euston. The remaining 30 per cent will access HS2 at Old Oak Common. 

HS2 will lead to a doubling in the number of people arriving at Euston station during the morning peak period with 60 per cent of these travelling onwards to destinations elsewhere in London using the Tube. 

At Old Oak Common, the vast majority of those people accessing HS2 will use Crossrail.  If the London Overground is connected into HS2 at Old Oak Common then the number of London-based trips accessing HS2 at Old Oak Common will increase from 30 per cent to around 40 per cent. This is in large part due to the direct connection with the Overground to Clapham Junction which makes it quicker for many people living in south and west London to access HS2 at Old Oak Common rather than Euston.