London Plan Minor Alterations

Meeting: 
MQT on 2015-07-15
Session date: 
July 15, 2015
Reference: 
2015/2159
Question By: 
Andrew Boff
Organisation: 
GLA Conservatives
Asked Of: 
The Mayor

Question

Would you review the impact of the new requirement for lifts in four-storey buildings or lower, to ensure that this does not incentivise taller buildings or lead to excessive service charges for tenants and leaseholders?

Answer

Answer for London Plan Minor Alterations

Answer for London Plan Minor Alterations

Answered By: 
The Mayor

Step free access for all dwellings is a requirement of the Government's optional building regulation standard M4 (2), which is roughly equivalent to 'Lifetime Home' standard. The Minor Alterations propose that this standard should be applied to 90% of all new dwellings with the remaining 10% to meet Government's Wheelchair User standard which also requires step free access.

The consultation period for the Minor Alterations closed on the 22nd of June. The policies will be subject to an examination in public in October. Any adopted policy will be subject to the plan, monitor, and manage process.