Watering down of plans for CS2 safety improvements (1)

Meeting: 
MQT on 2015-01-21
Session date: 
January 21, 2015
Reference: 
2015/0066
Question By: 
Darren Johnson
Organisation: 
City Hall Greens
Asked Of: 
The Mayor
Category: 

Question

Cyclists in Tower Hamlets are dismayed by your decision to water down plans to make cycle superhighway 2 safer. The section running by Whitechapel market has been downgraded so that, instead of benefitting from a fully segregated cycleway, people cycling along the eastbound side of Whitechapel Road will have to mix with buses in a five-metre wide bus lane that includes a two-metre cycle lane. These are the same design features that were incorporated into the original CS2 design. How can you justify watering down these safety improvement plans when there is a clear and urgent need for a radical overhaul of this route which has already claimed the lives of six cyclists?

Answer

Answer for Watering down of plans for CS2 safety improvements (1)

Answer for Watering down of plans for CS2 safety improvements (1)

Answered By: 
The Mayor

Whitechapel Market is a vibrant and vital part of the East End and I am determined that it should continue to thrive. During consultation, concerns were expressed by Tower Hamlets Council and market traders that the segregated cycle track would prevent many of them loading and unloading at the market, putting its future at risk.

Therefore on this very short stretch, in the eastbound direction only, we have replaced the proposed kerb segregation with a 5 metre wide bus lane and a separate, dedicated 2m wide cycle lane within it. This remains a substantial improvement on what is there now.

The section affected represents 300 metres of the route in one direction only - that is, less than 4 per cent of the total of CS2 [including the Stratford High Street section]. The other 96 per cent of the route will remain kerb or wand segregated, apart from the very short stretch of Mile End Road shown in the consultation.