Accessible Bus Stops

Meeting: 
MQT on 2014-12-17
Session date: 
December 17, 2014
Reference: 
2014/5883
Question By: 
Valerie Shawcross
Organisation: 
Labour Group
Asked Of: 
The Mayor
Category: 

Question

Your plans are for 95% of bus stops to be accessible by 2016-17. What plans do you have to make the remaining 5% accessible?

Answer

Answer for Accessible Bus Stops

Answer for Accessible Bus Stops

Answered By: 
The Mayor

There are over 18,500 bus stops in London and we are on target to reach my goal of 95 per cent accessible bus stops by the end of December 2016.  Across London, 79 per cent of bus stops (14,615) are accessible. In five boroughs (City of London, Hackney, Islington, Sutton and the Royal Borough of Kingston) more than 95 per cent of bus stops are accessible.

There are however, a number of challenges when trying to reach 100 per cent, including bus stops located on private and common land and those with double kerbs.

I will continue to work with both TfL and the boroughs to exceed the 95 per cent target wherever possible. TfL has made an additional £18million available over four years from 2013/14to support this work.