Accessibility of bus stops

Meeting: 
MQT on 2014-11-19
Session date: 
November 19, 2014
Reference: 
2014/4134
Question By: 
Caroline Pidgeon
Organisation: 
Liberal Democrats
Asked Of: 
The Mayor
Category: 

Question

How many bus stops in London are not fully accessible by wheelchair users? Please provide a list of the stops, and where possible an estimated date by which they will be made fully accessible.

Answer

Answer for Accessibility of bus stops

Answer for Accessibility of bus stops

Answered By: 
The Mayor

I have set a target that all stops on the TLRN will be accessible by March 2016. In addition, 95 per cent of bus stops on borough roads will be accessible by December 2016, while the remaining 5 per cent pose a greater challenge.  This is because of the physical constraints of local terrain and infrastructure which can feature dropped kerbs and grass verges, which are not compatible with mobility aids and wheelchair ramps.  Therefore, a long-term strategy to make all bus stops on the network accessible will involve greater infrastructure changes at some locations. I have asked TfL to look into what the cost and timescales would be of delivering a further improvement in accessibility beyond the 95%.

Currently, 79 per cent of stops across the network are accessible, with approximately 3,900 bus stops that are not accessible. This number continues to fall as TfL and local boroughs undertake necessary works. TfL will send you the full list of stops that are not currently accessible.

TfL is working to ensure that all stops which can be made accessible meet the standards required with a substantial investment programme of up to £18million for 2016/17.  It is therefore on track to meet the targets I have set out which will bring even greater ease of use to a bus network that is already the most accessible in the country.