Thank you for your answers to questions 2014/2701 and 2014/2702. A constituent has suggested the following measures to improve the London Rental Standard for housing benefit claimants. Will you explore them and write to me with any further steps you plan to take?
- ensure landlord and tenant insurance rates don't suffer any premiums on insurance policies
- advise landlords against taking out buy-to-let mortgages from providers which prohibit letting on tenancies longer than six or twelve months, and to benefit claimants
- accredited landlords and letting agents should signpost people to free, independent financial advice as a matter of course, and again if the tenants face any financial difficulties and get into arrears
- require landlords to have three months' rent in savings to cope with any problems that arise
- some guidance for landlords on how to handle evictions, including with the use of bailiffs, so tenants are given proper notice and treated with due care.