Step-Free Overground

Meeting: 
MQT on 2013-11-20
Session date: 
November 20, 2013
Reference: 
2013/4327
Question By: 
Valerie Shawcross
Organisation: 
Labour Group
Asked Of: 
The Mayor
Category: 

Question

The latest business plan says, "45 per cent of London Overground stations, including the new extension between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction, are step-free. This will rise to 60 per cent in 2014/15." Can you explain what stations are currently step-free, what will be step-free by 2014/15 and what plans you have to make the other 40 per cent of stations step-free? Can you also break down the figures to explain whether step-free means step-free to the platform or the train?

Answer

Answer for Step-Free Overground

Answer for Step-Free Overground

Answered By: 
The Mayor

I am deeply committed to improving the accessibility of our transport network, which is why I am delighted that the introduction of lifts at Crystal Palace and Denmark Hill this year means that 49 per cent of Overground stations (40 stations) are now step free:

Overground stations that currently have step-free access

Acton Central

Highbury & Islington

Anerley

Homerton

Barking

Hoxton

Caledonian Road & Barnsbury

Imperial Wharf

Camden Road

Kensington (Olympia)

Canada Water

Kew Gardens

Canonbury

New Cross

Carpenders Park

Richmond

Clapham Junction

Shepherd's Bush

Crystal Palace

Shoreditch High Street

Dalston Junction

South Acton

Denmark Hill

Stratford

Euston

Sydenham

Forest Hill

Upper Holloway

Gospel Oak

Walthamstow Queens Road

Hackney Central

Watford Junction

Hackney Wick

Wembley Central

Haggerston

West Brompton

Harringay Green Lanes

West Croydon

Harrow & Wealdstone

Willesden Junction

NB: Stations in bold have step-free access from street to train. At all other stations managed by London Overground, staff are available to deploy boarding ramps whenever necessary.

Seven more stations will be step free by 2014/15 taking the total to 47. They are Brockley, Hampstead Heath, Honor Oak Park, Kensal Rise, New Cross Gate, Queens Road (Peckham) and South Tottenham.

Planned schemes at two stations will now be implemented after 2014/15, to enable them to be better integrated with other necessary works: West Hampstead (congestion relief) and Blackhorse Road (electrification). Additionally, Whitechapel will be made step free as part of the Crossrail programme, giving a total of 50 stations, or 61 per cent.

TfL will continue to seek opportunities to make more stations on the rest of the Overground step-free, including seeking additional Access for All funding and working with local authorities and developers.