MQT on 2007-05-23
Session date: 
May 23, 2007
Question By: 
Dee Doocey
Liberal Democrats
Asked Of: 
The Mayor


What can you do as Mayor to help provide practical help to EU migrants seeking work in London who are currently sleeping rough and unable to access local authority support?


Answer for Homelessness

Answer for Homelessness

Answered By: 
The Mayor

Frontline services for those sleeping rough, whether from EU accession countries or others, are provided by London's boroughs and voluntary sector services. For accession country migrants access to benefits and social housing is restricted through the legislation that introduced the right to reside test. However, in recognition of the problem the Government has made additional revenue support available to boroughs to assist homeless EU migrants. I fully support this additional support by Government and will continue to assist in tackling homelessness through allocating funding for supported and specialist housing, increasing the supply of affordable housing and tackling health inequalities.