London's Royal Docks will be the capital’s next business district, delivered by the Mayor of London, private sector partners and the London Borough of Newham. Already home to London’s only designated Enterprise Zone and excellent transport links, the regeneration will create a centre for global trade, with thousands of jobs and new homes. To find out more, visit our website www.royaldocks.london
Who is it for?
Investment in the Royal Docks is a real chance to change the lives of some of the most deprived communities in London. We are working with the London Borough of Newham and skills and education providers to unlock the wealth of latent talent in the area and help local residents take full advantage of new opportunities.
The project will also redefine the Royal Docks as a place with its own centre and a clear identity of its own, attracting tourists, new residents and investment from business and creating a world class new urban quarter.
How are we doing it?
The wider GLA group is working with the London Borough of Newham to engage with the various organisations and stakeholders interested in the development of the Royal Docks.
The GLA and the London Borough of Newham are coordinating their efforts to make quick decisions, streamline processes and work effectively with private sector partners to enable delivery. This joint commitment is outlined in the Royal Docks Vision document.
What are the benefits?
The Royal Docks has massive development potential and can become a major new centre for business and living in east London.
The vision document gives an overview of the project’s benefits. This includes:
- developing the Royal Docks as a world-class business destination
- encouraging inward investment in the Royal Docks area, building on opportunities presented by the 2012 Games
- ensuring that local people have access to the opportunities created
- making the Royals Docks a great place to live with improved local connections and a revitalised waterfront
- making the Royal Docks a model of green enterprise and environmental sustainability
- developing attractions that will create a thriving visitor and tourist economy
Who can I contact for more information?
The vision for the future of the Royal Docks is underpinned by a clear ten-point strategy to:
- develop the Royal Docks as a world-class business destination within the knowledge economy
- promote the Royal Docks as a focus for investment on a world stage building on opportunities presented by the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- make the Royal Docks a place of choice to live
- champion green enterprise and environmental sustainability
- ensure that development positively benefits the local communities
- exploit the potential for a visitor and tourist economy
- create a unique and high quality waterfront urban quarter with a strong sense of place
- improve cross-river and local connectivity
- communicate openly and clearly
- make it happen