Report of the Executive Director of Secretariat
Contact: Daniella Dávila Aquije, [email protected]; 020 7984 7084
The Committee is recommended to:
(a) Note report as background to putting questions to invited guests on Tube dust and notes the subsequent discussion.
(b) Delegate authority to the Chair, in consultation with party Group Lead Members, to agree any output arising from the discussion.
5.1 The Committee received the report of the Executive Director of Secretariat as background to putting questions on Tube dust to the following invited guests:
· Peter McNaught, Director of Asset Operations, Transport for London (TfL);
· Rikard Moen, Head of Occupational Health, TfL;
· Professor Jenny Mindell, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health; and
· Cat Cray,National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) Stations Health and Safety Council Member.
A transcript of the discussion is attached at Appendix 1.
5.3 During the course of the discussion, Members requested the following additional information:
· From the Director of Asset Operations, TfL, a list of the 42 dirtiest Tube stations;
· From the Head of Occupational Health, TfL:
a) The report and results commissioned by TfL with King’s College and Imperial College which look at sickness of TfL employees;
b) Details of how frequently TfL measure and monitor Tube dust levels and their composition and concentration; and
· From the RMT Stations Health and Safety Council Member the details of the correspondence between RMT and TfL between 2003 to 2016 regarding health and safety concerns relating to air quality.
(a) That the report and discussion be noted; and
(b) That authority be delegated to the Chair, in consultation with party Group Lead Members, to agree any output from the discussion.