Agenda and minutes
Planning Committee
Thursday 10 March 2016 10.00 am

Venue: Committee Room 5, City Hall, The Queen's Walk, London, SE1 2AA. View directions

Contact: John Johnson, Committee Officer; Telephone: 020 7983 4926; E-mail:  [email protected]; Minicom: 020 7983 4926 

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for Absence and Chair's Announcements

To receive any apologies for absence and any announcements from the Chair.

Minutes:

1.1  Apologies for absence were received from Andrew Boff and from Steve O’Connell for whom Tony Arbour attended as a substitute.

 

2.

Declarations of Interests pdf icon PDF 86 KB

Report of the Executive Director of Secretariat.

Contact:  John Johnson; email: [email protected]; telephone: 020 7983 4926

 

The Committee is recommended to:

 

(a)  Note the list of offices held by Assembly Members, as set out in the table at Agenda item 2, as disclosable pecuniary interests;

 

(b)  Note the declaration by any Member(s) of any disclosable pecuniary interests in specific items listed on the agenda and the necessary action taken by the Member(s) regarding withdrawal following such declaration(s); and

 

(c)  Note the declaration by any Member(s) of any other interests deemed to be relevant (including any interests arising from gifts and hospitality received which are not at the time of the meeting reflected on the Authority’s register of gifts and hospitality, and noting also the advice from the GLA’s Monitoring Officer set out at Agenda Item 2) and any necessary action taken by the Member(s) following such declaration(s).

 

Minutes:

 

2.1  The Committee received the report of the Executive Director of Secretariat.

 

2.2  Resolved:

 

That the list of offices held by Assembly Members, as set out on the table at Item 2 on the agenda, be noted as disclosable pecuniary interests.

 

 

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 87 KB

The Committee is recommended to confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Planning Committee held on 11 February 2016 to be signed by the Chair as a correct record.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

3.1  Resolved:

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 11 February 2016 be signed by the Chair as a correct record.

 

4.

Summary List of Actions pdf icon PDF 101 KB

Report of the Executive Director of Secretariat

Contact:  John Johnson; [email protected]; 020 7983 4926 

 

The Committee is recommended to note the ongoing actions arising from previous meetings of the Committee and the action taken by the Chair and Members of the Committee under delegated authority, as set out in the report.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

4.1  The Committee received the report of the Executive Director of Secretariat.

 

4.2  Resolved:

 

That the Committee notes the ongoing actions arising from previous meetings of the Committee and the actions taken under delegated authority, as set out in the report.

 

5.

Strategic Policy Issues and Arrangements: London and the wider South East pdf icon PDF 81 KB

Report of the Executive Director of Secretariat

Contact:  Paul Watling; [email protected]; 0207 983 4393

 

The Committee is recommended to note this report as background to discussing with invited experts the progress of developing more effective arrangements for co-ordinating strategic policy and infrastructure investment across London and the wider South East of England.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

5.1  The Committee received the report of the Executive Director of Secretariat as a background to putting questions on the progress of developing more effective arrangements for co-ordinating strategic policy and infrastructure investment across London and the wider South East of England to the following invited guests:

 

·  Heather Bolton, Director, South East England Councils

 

·  John Lett, Strategic Planning Manager, GLA

 

·  William McKee, CBE, Chair of the Outer London

 

·  Jörn Peters, Senior Strategic Planner, London Plan, GLA

 

·  Martin Simmons, Regional Planning Advisor

 

5.2  A transcript of the discussion is attached at Appendix 1.

 

5.3   During the discussion, John Lett, Strategic Planning Manager GLA, committed to provide the Committee with details of the migration trends from the rest of the UK to the south east of England, excluding London.

 

5.4  Resolved:

 

That the report and discussion, and the commitment outlined in paragraph 5.3 above be noted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.

Rapporteur Report: Tax Trial - A Land Value Tax for London? pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Report of the Executive Director of Secretariat

Contact:  Paul Watling; [email protected]; 0207 983 4393

 

The Committee is recommended to:

 

(a)  Agree the report “Tax Trial:  A Land Value Tax for London?”, as attached  at Appendix 1 to the report; and

 

(b)  Delegate authority to Tom Copley AM to lead any follow-up work in relation to the report’s recommendations in consultation with the Chair and Deputy Chair of the Committee.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

6.1   The Committee received the report of the Executive Director of Secretariat.

 

6.2  Resolved:

 

(a)  That the Committee agrees the report Tax Trial: A Land Value Tax for London? ; and

 

(b)  That authority be delegated to Tom Copley AM to lead any follow up work in relation to the report’s recommendations, in consultation with the Chair and Deputy Chair of the Committee.

 

 

7.

Planning Committee: Legacy Report 2012 - 2016 pdf icon PDF 105 KB

Report of the Executive Director of Secretariat

Contact:  Paul Watling; [email protected]; 0207 983 4393

 

The Committee is recommended to note this report.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

7.1  The Committee received the report of the Executive Director of Secretariat.

 

7.2  Resolved:

 

That the Committee notes the Planning Committee: Legacy Report 2012-2016.

 

8.

Date of Next Meeting

The establishment of committees and dates for committee meetings in the 2016/17 Assembly year will be agreed at the London Assembly’s Annual Meeting, scheduled to take place on 13 May 2016. 

 

 

Minutes:

8.1  The establishment of committees and dates for committee meetings in the 2016/17 Assembly year will be agreed at the London Assembly’s Annual Meeting, scheduled to take place on 13 May 2016.

9.

Any Other Business the Chair Considers Urgent

Minutes:

9.1  There was no other business.

 

10.

Close of Meeting

Minutes:

10.1   The meeting ended at 11.50am.