Property guardianship in London
What is Property Guardianship? Who does it benefit and how does it work?
The London Assembly Housing Committee is investigating the role of property guardianship in London’s housing market and the experiences of property guardians.
Overview of the investigation
- Guardianship is promoted as a cost-effective method of securing vacant property and is advertised as a ‘win-win-win’ for property owners, property guardians and communities.
- Guardianship offers accommodation at cheaper rates than the mainstream private rental sector in return for protecting vacant property.
- Ongoing pressures of the housing crisis have created a growing demand for guardianship opportunities.
- Recent coverage in the media presents both a positive and a negative picture of being a property guardian.
Do you provide property guardian services?
Do you use property guardians to protect vacant property?
Do you have an opinion about property guardians?
The terms of reference for this investigation are to:
- Identify the extent of property guardianship in London, highlight good and bad practice and emerging self-regulation in the sector,
- Examine the impact of property guardianship on Londoners, including local authorities, communities, businesses and property security companies,
- Consider the effectiveness of current legislation and whether it protects property guardians adequately.