How do I use a face covering safely?
It is important to remember that even if your mouth and nose are covered the infection can be spread on your hands. Always wash your hands when you get home and avoid touching your face and eyes at all times.
- Make sure that you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap before and after touching or adjusting your face covering or handling it in any way.
- Cloth face coverings should cover your mouth and nose, whilst allowing you to breath comfortably.
- Avoid touching your face, nose, or mouth
- Don’t touch your face or face covering with unwashed hands or gloves
- Do not touch the front of the face covering or the part that has been in contact with your mouth and nose – these may have virus on them.
- When wearing a face covering, take care to tuck away loose ends.
- Wash your face covering regularly. It can go in with other laundry, using your normal detergent.
- Store used face coverings in a plastic bag until you have an opportunity to wash them
- Once removed, make sure you clean any surfaces the face covering has touched
If you are using a single-use face covering, please ensure you dispose of it safely in your black bag rubbish at home if possible. Never litter your face covering or gloves. This puts refuse collectors at risk.
Remember that wearing a face covering is not a substitute for staying at home as much as possible, washing your hands frequently, and keeping at least 2 metres from others.