Trafalgar Square

We manage Trafalgar Square, one of London’s most vibrant spaces in the middle of the city. Find out about the history of this heritage site, its statues and its fountains.

Visiting the square

Trafalgar Square is surrounded by museums, galleries, cultural spaces and historic buildings. It also has the café on the square. Find out how to get here and what facilities are available, including at the cafe, on our visiting page

For more information, go to Visit London

History of Trafalgar Square

14th to 17th century: Most of the area now occupied by Trafalgar Square was the courtyard of the Great Mews stabling, which served Whitehall Palace.

1812: The architect John Nash began to develop ‘a new street from Charing Cross to Portland Place’. He wanted it to be a cultural space open to the public.

1830: The site was officially named Trafalgar Square.

1832: Work began on the National Gallery.

1838: Sir Charles Barry presented a plan to develop Trafalgar Square. This included the Nelson memorial statue and two fountains.

1843: Nelson’s Column, designed by William Railton, was erected

1845: The fountains were built.

1867: Sir Edwin Landseer designed the bronze lions placed on guard at the base of Nelson’s Column.

1876: The Imperial Measures were set into the north terrace wall (read more about this below).

Trafalgar Square today

In July 2003 a huge project to transform Trafalgar Square was completed. The north terrace was pedestrianised, so that the square is now linked to the National Gallery. The changes also included a cafe, public toilets and a lift for disabled access.

Trafalgar Square is a centre of national democracy and protest. Rallies and demonstrations are frequently held at weekends on different political, religious and general issues. The Mayor supports this democratic tradition, and gives access to the square for such causes.

Statues and fountains

Nelson’s Column

William Railton designed the column and statue to honour Admiral Nelson, after his victory in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

The granite statue was sculpted by E. H. Baily. It is five metres high and stands on a bronze platform made from old guns from the Woolwich Arsenal Foundry.

The four bronze panels at the base of the column depict some of Nelson’s battles. The lions, designed by Sir Edwin Landseer, are said to protect Nelson’s Column.

Restoration of Nelson’s Column

Nelson's Column is Grade 1 listed. It is inspected every two years to assess its condition. Recent inspections found that the column was in sound condition, but recommended conservation work to preserve it for future generations.

This work includes repairs to the stonework, cleaning areas of corrosion, protecting the bronze with wax, general cleaning to remove pigeon guano, and pigeon-proofing minor areas.

The restoration team was able to repair damage to the statue using Craigleith sandstone, the original material used to make it. When the Craigleith quarry in Scotland closed sixty years ago it made getting hold of the stone almost impossible, so previous restorers patched Nelson up using a mixture of mortar and cement.

However, some Craigleith stone was found during a restoration of Donaldson's School for the Deaf (an A-listed building in Edinburgh). It was donated to Nelson’s Column restoration by Scottish company Watson Stonecraft.


The fountains were added in 1845. The mermaids, dolphins and tritons (the male figures with tails like fish) were installed later. The fountains operate on most days.


There are four plinths for statues in the square. Bronze statues stand on three of them: General Sir Charles James Napier in the southwest, Major General Sir Henry Havelock in the southeast and King George IV in the northeast.

The Fourth Plinth

The fourth plinth, in the northwest of the square, was empty for many years. It is now managed by a Commissioning Group Panel of specialist advisors. This group guides and monitors the commissions for the plinth. The content presents world-class contemporary artworks in the public realm.

Imperial Measures

In 1876 the Imperial Measures were set into the north terrace wall. Surveyors can still check ‘Perches’, ‘Chains’ and other archaic measures against feet and yards. When the central staircase was added, the measures were relocated, and you can now find information about them outside the café on the square.

Police box

Probably the smallest police box ever built can be found on the southeast corner of the square. There was originally a lamp, built in 1826. In 1926, Scotland Yard installed a telephone line and light which the police could use to call for assistance. It is now used for storage.


Many events are hosted at Trafalgar Square, including cultural celebrations, commercial events, rallies and demonstrations, filming and photographic shoots.

These events must be arranged through us, find out how on our booking page.

Find out more about the events held at Trafalgar Square and in the rest of London.

Share this page