What benefits will you get if you work for City Hall?
Why work for us?
What we offer
Working for us offers you a challenging and rewarding job, as well as the chance to really improve the lives of Londoners.
In return, we offer great working conditions, competitive salaries, generous annual leave and pension schemes, and more.
- 30 days annual leave (in addition to statutory public holidays)
- 37 hour full-time working week
- incremental salary scheme (below director level)
- career average pension scheme
- interest free season ticket loan
- interest free bicycle loan
- interest free tenancy deposit loan
- interest free gym loans
- cycle to work salary sacrifice scheme
- childcare voucher salary sacrifice scheme
- health screening
- a range of flexible working arrangements allowing staff to balance work and home commitments, including a flexible hours scheme, job-sharing and remote working
Read our terms and conditions of employment for more information.
We offer our staff competitive salaries within grading bands, which can be viewed in our salary payscale document below.
Our salary system means that your pay will increase within these grading bands every year. This is called an ‘incremental salary system’ and applies to all staff below director level. The details of this are:
- all new staff will join at the bottom increment of a pay grade
- if your performance is satisfactory, you will receive an increase to the next increment on 1 April. However, if your employment starts between 1 October and 31 March you will receive your first increase six months after your start date
- going forward, future increases are received on 1 April each year until the maximum of that grade band is reached
- further details of this pay scheme will be provided on offer of appointment. Please refer to our pay and grading principles and practices for more information
- for fixed term contracts lasting longer than six months an increment will normally be paid as described above. For contracts of less than six months no increment will be paid
- if you take a post with us on a secondment basis, the advertised salary is the maximum salary that we will pay your substantive employer
Learning and development
We are dedicated to improving our employees' skills and expertise, and invest in learning and development for all our staff.
- a range of professional, career and personal development courses
- flexible learning methods to suit individual preferences and learning needs
- a comprehensive induction programme
- leadership development opportunities
- a mentoring programme
- staff networks
- access to funding for accredited qualifications
- learning resources
Our office is City Hall, on the south bank of the Thames near Tower Bridge, opposite the Tower of London.
We are easy to reach by public transport: London Bridge rail and tube, Tower Hill tube and DLR, and several bus routes are all nearby. See our how to find us page for more information.
There is a lot to enjoy nearby in your lunch hour or after work, such as:
- Borough Food Market
- HMS Belfast
- Potters Fields Park
- the Scoop, where film screenings, live music, dance and theatre performances take place in the summer
- lots of sandwich shops and restaurants
If you like a breath of fresh air in your lunch hour, you can easily walk by the Thames or sit outdoors in the Scoop or Potters Fields Park.
We have a café on the Lower Ground Floor, which serves hot and cold drinks, snacks and meals to staff and the public.
Lots of our staff use the café – it’s somewhere to hold quick meetings or enjoy lunch with colleagues. You also get a ten per cent discount with your staff security pass.
City Hall has nine shower rooms – good news if you cycle or run to or from work, or exercise in your lunch hour.
If you’re a cyclist, we provide:
- secure parking
- fresh towels
- bike tools and a pump
- free Doctor Bike sessions to check bike safety and carry out minor repairs
- an interest-free loan (up to £500) for staff looking to buy a new bike. This is paid back via salary deductions over an agreed number of months
- or as an alternative, you can purchase a bike via the Cycle to Work salary sacrifice scheme
We all know there's more to life than just work, work, work. Our staff run a diverse range of clubs and interest groups, including the GLA football team, cricket team, running club and film club.
You will have the chance to get involved in our active staff networks including the Women’s Network, LGBT+ network and Wellbeing Network.
We also have a social committee who organise events throughout the year, including quiz nights and themed cocktail evenings in London’s Living Room. A highlight of these events is the staff Christmas party, when the social committee transform the ground floor of City Hall into a Winter Wonderland.