Mayor of London's Roads Task Force

The first major strategic review of London’s road network for a generation has begun, working to propose long term solutions to improve the capital’s roads and tackle some of London’s most high profile junctions such as Hammersmith Flyover, Purley Way, Wandsworth Town Centre, Euston Road, Archway, and Kings Cross.

The Roads Task Force, a key election pledge by the Mayor, is looking at how TfL and the boroughs could redesign gyratories and congestion blackspots, make journeys more reliable, and continue to make roads safer for all users. It is also looking at how the road network could better serve local communities, helping to transform the urban realm, cut pollution and ease congestion across the capital.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: “A healthy road network is essential for this great city; for our economy, for pedestrians, bus passengers, motorists, and cyclists. London deserves a road network that isn’t just a relic of 1950s and 1960s urban planning, but a road system that is fit for the 21st century. My Roads Task Force will consider every need and help ensure the future success of our capital.”

Roads are vital for the sustaining the London economy, essential for the movement of people and goods as well as providing a public space for shopping, exercising and socialising. More than 70 per cent of trips to work are made entirely by walking, cycling, driving or taking the bus, and the remaining 30 per cent use roads to access rail and tube stations. On top of this, almost 90 per cent of freight deliveries in and out of London are made using the capitals road network.

As London’s population grows by an expected 1.25 million people by 2031, congestion will also rise by an anticipated 14 per cent despite a programme of combative measures and investment. This will place increasing challenges and demands on the road network, as we strive to strike heighten the local quality of life while enabling efficient movement of people and goods around the city without weakening London’s productivity and competitiveness.

This comprehensive review will enable the Mayor and TfL to make the best possible long term strategic decisions for the competing demands London’s road network faces, while planning for population growth and economic development.

The final report will be published in spring 2013. Together with the Mayor's Rail Vision, this report will form an important part of TfL’s contribution to the Mayor’s 2020 vision for the capital.

TfL recently consulted with stakeholders and the public on how they think the road network should look going forward. Find out more about the road network consultation (external website).

Londoners can still submit any comments they have to RoadsTaskForce@tfl.gov.uk