The mayor has identified the following as key priorities:
- Strengthen the MPS and drive a renewed focus on street policing
- Give victims a greater voice
- Make London safer for women
- Develop smarter solutions to alcohol and drug crime
- Help London’s vulnerable young people
- Tackling business crime
MOPAC’s mission is to deliver:
- A Metropolis that is the safest global city on the planet.
- A Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) that becomes the UK’s most effective, most efficient, even the most loved police force.
- A capital city where all public services work together and with communities to prevent crime, seek justice for victims and reducing reoffending.
MOPAC expects the bodies responsible for community safety and criminal justice in London to focus on reducing crime and boosting confidence, by working together in the interests of Londoners, particularly those who are vulnerable and those who are victims. Against the backdrop of public sector cuts, this has to be done by driving out inefficiencies and getting the best value for money possible from the limited resources available. MOPAC will ensure that this happens by:
- Setting challenging crime reduction and confidence targets and ensuring that the Commissioner is held to account for performance
- Facilitating better working relationships between partners by getting agreement to the shared priorities in this plan, and by bringing partners together identify and resolve any barriers to better partnership working.
- Using new commissioning powers to fund programmes and initiatives that are based on robust evidence and good practice, as well as providing good value.
The Mayor has now consulted and published his Police and Crime Plan. You can see the Police and Crime Plan here.