Venue: Committee Room 5, City Hall, The Queen's Walk, London, SE1 2AA. View directions
Contact: Camelia Thomas, Committee Assistant; telephone: 020 7983 4795; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Minicom: 020 7983 4458.
Apologies for Absence and Chair's Announcements
To receive any apologies for absence and any announcements from the Chair.
1.1 There were no apologies for absence.
The Panel is recommended to:
(a) Note the list of memberships of functional bodies and London Borough Councils, as set out in the table at Item 2;
(b) Note the gifts and hospitality received by Members, as set out on the Authority’s gifts and hospitality register; and
(c) Declare any other personal or personal prejudicial interests in specific items listed on the agenda over and above those items listed in the table at Item 2 and including any interests arising from gifts or hospitality received within the previous three years or from the date of election to the London Assembly, whichever is the later, which are not at the time of this meeting reflected on the Authority’s register of gifts and hospitality.
(a) That the relevant Members’ declaration of memberships of Functional Bodies and London Borough Councils as set out in the table at Item 2 on the agenda, be noted as personal interests; and
(b) That the gifts and hospitality received by Members, as set out on the Authority’s gifts and hospitality register be noted.
(c) That the following be additionally noted and recorded as personal interests, insofar as they are related to agenda Item 3: Time for Action – Update.
· Andrew Boff AM - Member, RCC Youth Club Management Committee;
· James Cleverly AM - that he was in 2010 the Mayor’s Youth Ambassador, with involvement on youth issues, but had no links to the youth programmes which was discussed at Item 5 of the agenda (Time for Action – update).
Report of the Executive Director of Secretariat
Contact: Richard Derecki, email@example.com, 020 7983 4899.
The Panel is recommended to put questions to the expert guests on progress with the Mayor’s Time for Action programmes, with specific focus on Project Titan and the role of mentoring in helping to avert young people from youth crime and violence.
3.1 The Panel received the report of the Executive Director of Secretariat.
3.2 The following guests attended the meeting to answer the Panel’s questions on progress with the Mayor’s Time for Action programmes:
· Lizzie Noel, Mayoral Advisor Social Action and Volunteering;
· MuniraMurza, Mayoral Advisor, Culture and Youth;
· Roger Hadwen, Senior Policy & Projects Officer - Community Safety, GLA;
· Ron Belgrave, Head of Community Safety;
· Jeff Jacobs, Head of Paid Service and Executive Director;
· Christian Steenberg, Programme Manager - Violent and Youth Crime; and
· Councillor Steve Reed, London Councils, Executive Member for Children’s service and
3.3 A transcript of the discussion is attached as Appendix 1.
That the report and discussion be noted.
4.1 The Panel agreed that the next meeting of the Time for Action Panel should be arranged, with the intention of inviting Ray Lewis [Mayor’s Ambassador for Mentoring] to answer the Panel’s questions on the Mayor’s Mentoring programme; and that subject to legal advice the Chair would use powers under Section 61 and 62 of the GLA Act as amended to summons Mr Lewis to the meeting.
4.2 At the end of the discussion the Chair tabled the following correspondence which had been circulated to the Panel Members in advance of the meeting, which are attached as Appendix 2 to the Minutes:
· Letter from the UK Statistics Authority (dated 21 October 2011);
· Letter from the Boris Johnson, Mayor of London to the Rt Hon Keith Vaz MP (dated 27 October 2011); and
· Letter from Kit Malthouse, Deputy Mayor for Policing (dated 2 November 2011).
(a) That a future meeting of the Time for Action Panel be convened, with the purpose of questioning Mr Ray Lewis, Mayor’s Ambassador for Mentoring; and
(b) That the Chair be given delegated authority to summons Mr Ray Lewis, the Mayor’s Ambassador for Mentoring, subject to legal advice about whether it is permissible to ... view the full minutes text for item 4.
Close of Meeting
5.1 The meeting ended at 4.55 pm.