Three iconic open-air locations in the heart of the capital – Hyde Park, Victoria Park and Trafalgar Square – will be transformed next year to offer hundreds of thousands of Londoners and visitors to the city the chance to join in the excitement of the biggest sporting event on the planet – the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
As part of London's commitment to ensure as many people as possible have a chance to be involved in the celebrations surrounding the Games, the Mayor of London, The Royal Parks, the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and international event promoters Live Nation have teamed up to create LONDON LIVE, which will enable people to watch outdoor screenings of the 2012 sporting action and enjoy top flight entertainment for free. Full details will be announced shortly and the official website - www.londonlive.uk.com - is launched today for people to register their interest.
As well as giant state of the art screens for crowds to watch live action from the Olympic and Paralympic Games, each location will provide a stunning backdrop for a variety of entertainment and attractions for people of all ages, including live music, outdoor arts and performance, plus opportunities to try out different sports.
In addition, Live Nation will stage two very special Celebration Concerts in Hyde Park to coincide with two key milestones of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the Opening Ceremony on July 27 and the Closing Ceremony on August 12. Ticket prices and headline acts for these two concerts, along with details about the rest of the London Live programme, will be announced in early 2012.
London Live is part of a wide-ranging series of free public events and cultural activities being planned, which will take place across the capital during the 2012 Games.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson said: “With the eyes of the world on London for the 2012 Games, we are creating a jam-packed programme of exciting events that will show the city at its very best and ensure as many people as possible across the capital feel a part of the celebrations. With its unbeatable locations London Live will be a thrilling highlight in a summer of highlights, allowing even more people to watch awe inspiring sporting heroes in high definition action for free, and other fantastic attractions for Londoners and visitors alike.”
The Royal Parks Chief Executive, Mark Camley, said: ‘’Eleven Olympic and Paralympic events will take place across six Royal Parks next summer and we are delighted that Hyde Park will not only be home to the Triathlon and Marathon Swimming events, but it is also set to host the largest Live Site in London. London Live in Hyde Park will allow sports fans to come together to celebrate the Olympic Games by viewing live events and by participating in a range of sports too. The atmosphere will be electric and The Royal Parks looks forward to welcoming thousands of visitors from London, the UK and around the world to the famous Hyde Park ".
The Executive Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman, said ‘‘Just a javelin throw from the Olympic Park itself, London Live in Victoria Park will give Londoners and visitors alike the chance to be at the heart of the excitement of what promises to be a fabulous 17 day period to celebrate London 2012. I know people across London and the UK will want to feel part of the greatest show on earth and with concerts, sporting activities and big screens all on offer at Victoria Park, there will be no shortage of opportunities to soak up the atmosphere. Tower Hamlets is honoured to play host to such a key event in the 2012 cultural and sporting calendar, and a landmark moment in our nation's history."
John Probyn, COO of Live Nation, said “We have a great pedigree of delivering fantastic open air events in Hyde Park and are excited to be working on delivering the same quality events in Victoria Park and Trafalgar Square for Londoners and visitors to the capital for the London 2012 Games. Our aim is to deliver one of London's biggest Olympic celebrations.”
Each London Live site will offer its own unique experience on the following dates: -
- London Live Hyde Park, July 27 - August 12
- London Live Hyde Park, a Royal Park, will deliver unparalleled viewing of the Olympic Games via a series of large screens, including the UK’s largest. The live BBC coverage will include the Olympic medal events; with cultural entertainment and live music also on offer. London Live in Hyde Park will be free to access between July 28 and August 11. The Opening Ceremony on July 27 and the Closing Ceremony on August 12 will be commercially ticketed.
- London Live Victoria Park, July 27 - August 12
- London Live Victoria Park in Tower Hamlets will provide a more intimate viewing experience with a 'sports café' style approach to enjoying the 2012 Olympic Games. Two giant screens will share the park with a series of smaller screens showing BBC live coverage. There will be an emphasis on sports participation with a range of ‘have a go’ sessions at the Victoria Park Sports Courts, and a series of evening concerts and cultural entertainment will enliven the site daily. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies will be broadcast live at Victoria Park from the nearby Olympic Stadium.
- London Live Trafalgar Square, August 29 – September 9
Once the focus shifts to the London 2012 Paralympic Games, London Live will relocate to Trafalgar Square, where a giant screen will show live coverage courtesy of Channel 4 Television. There will also be sporting activity, cultural entertainment and evening concerts.
There are three options for entry into London Live.
- The Opening and Closing Ceremony Celebration Concerts at Hyde Park on July 27 and August 12 will be ticketed, with headline acts and prices to be announced in early 2012. There will be free admission to Victoria Park on Opening and Closing Ceremony days.
- Walk in on the day – all London Live dates except the two Celebration Concerts in Hyde Park - will offer free access, with people able to turn up on the day, subject to capacity. Hyde Park and Victoria Park will also offer 'guaranteed early entry tickets' for access before 2pm – see below.
- Guaranteed early entry tickets - up to four tickets per person will be able to be booked in advance for entry to Hyde Park and Victoria Park before 2pm each day for a transaction fee of £3:50 per booking. Registration via the website will be required for these tickets. These tickets will not be available for the Opening and Closing Ceremony and on days that the Triathlon competition takes place – this applies to Hyde Park only.
All London Live locations are subject to Planning consent and Licence.
Notes to Editors
The Mayor of London sees the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games as providing an unparalleled opportunity for London to showcase itself to the world. He is responsible for ensuring there is a lasting legacy for London from the Games, and is focused on ensuring that Londoners benefit from opportunities and investment that the Games bring – both now and in the future - particularly in East London.
The Mayor coordinates the City Operations programme, which is designed to spread the look, feel and excitement of the Games throughout the capital (e.g. London Ambassadors, London Live, London Look programme) and to bring together London agencies to keep the capital moving and functioning successfully during a busy period. In 2012 the capital will demonstrate its creative prowess, creating new opportunities for cultural connections for Games time and beyond. The Mayor will announce more details about his plans for a major outdoor arts festival, which will take place in every borough during the London 2012 Festival early next year. www.london.gov.uk/londonlive www.london.gov.uk/games http://bit.ly/iKHV1s
The Royal Parks will play a central role in helping to deliver a successful London 2012 Games. 11 Olympic and Paralympic events will take place across six Royal Parks – including the Triathlon and Marathon Swimming competitions in Hyde Park. The Royal Parks is an executive agency of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The Royal Parks are: Bushy Park, The Green Park, Greenwich Park, Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, The Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill, Richmond Park and St James's Park. The agency also manages Victoria Tower Gardens, Brompton Cemetery, the gardens of 10, 11 and 12 Downing Street, and Grosvenor Square Gardens. For further information please visit: www.royalparks.org.uk
London Borough of Tower Hamlets Tower Hamlets is the heart of the ‘East End’. Rich in history, it presents a vibrant mix of old and new, creating a bustling community unique in culture and character. Taking its name from the Tower of London and the hamlets that surround it, Tower Hamlets covers an area of eight square miles and has a population of around 220,000. It is bounded by the Thames to the South and the boroughs of Newham (east), Hackney (north) and the City of London (west).
As one of the six Olympic host boroughs, the Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman and the council are looking to maximise the benefits that London 2012 will bring to the borough’s residents. Projects include the £11 million High Street 2012 programme which is rejuvenating the thoroughfare that links the city to the Olympic Park, the promotion of Brick Lane as Curry Capital 2012 to generate tourism and priority access for residents to Olympic jobs. Visit www.towerhamlets.gov.uk
Live Nation Entertainment is the world’s leading live entertainment and eCommerce company, comprised of four market leaders: Ticketmaster.com, Live Nation Concerts, Front Line Management Group and Live Nation Network. Ticketmaster.com is the global event ticketing leader and one of the world’s top five eCommerce sites, with over 26 million monthly unique visitors. Live Nation Concerts produces over 20,000 shows annually for more than 2,000 artists globally. Front Line is the world’s top artist management company, representing over 250 artists. These businesses power Live Nation Network, the leading provider of entertainment marketing solutions, enabling over 800 advertisers to tap into the 200 million consumers Live Nation delivers annually through its live event and digital platforms. For additional information, visit www.livenation.com/investors