The London Assembly will tomorrow hold three confirmation hearings to assess Mayor of London Boris Johnson’s proposed appointments to Deputy Chair of Transport for London; Chair of the London Legacy Development Corporation; and Chair of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority.
The Assembly’s Confirmation Hearings Committee will question:
From 1.30pm: Isabel Dedring
Proposed appointment to the office of Deputy Chair of Transport for London
From approx 2.30pm: Cllr Daniel Moylan
Proposed appointment to the office of Chair of the London Legacy Development Corporation
From approx 3.30pm: James Cleverly AM
Proposed appointment to the office of Chair of the London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority
Questions will cover four key areas:
- Whether the candidates are qualified for the position
- Whether the candidates have the time and capacity for the position
- Whether the candidates are fit (independent and impartial) for the position
- The main responsibilities of the post and the key issues facing the organisation
Following the hearings, the Committee will make a recommendation to the Mayor as to whether they agree or reject the proposed appointments.
The hearings will take place on Wednesday, 23 May from 1.30pm in the Chamber at City Hall (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1). Media and members of the public are invited to attend. The meeting can be viewed via webcast.
Notes for Editors
- The Committee’s recommendation is non-binding.
- In accordance with Schedule 4A of the Greater London Authority Act 1999 (as amended 2007), the London Assembly may hold Confirmation Hearings in respect of specific appointments and make a recommendation to the Mayor on the candidates proposed for appointment.
- Full agenda papers
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For more details please contact Mark Demery in the Assembly Media Office on 020 7983 5769/4283. For out of hours media enquiries please call 0207 983 4000 and ask for the Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit, Greater London Authority, on 020 7983 4100.