The London Assembly Transport Committee will tomorrow hold back-to-back sessions on what progress is being made on expanding services on the Thames, and when proposed extensions to several Tube lines will go ahead.
At the beginning of the meeting, the Committee will also receive an update on repairs to Hammersmith Flyover from Transport for London.
From 10am: River services
Committee Members will question the following guests about issues including: the need for improvements to piers; the need to subsidise river bus services; and low levels of public awareness about river services:
- Leon Daniels, Managing Director of Surface Transport, TfL
- Richard Tracey AM, the Mayor’s Ambassador for River Transport
- Sean Collins, Managing Director, Thames Clippers
- Richard Everitt, Chief Executive, PLA
From 11am (approx): Extending the Tube
When will plans to extend the London Underground - including the Northern Line to Battersea, southern extension of the Bakerloo line, and a link at Croxley to join the Watford branch of the Metropolitan line to Watford Junction – go ahead?
Members will question the following guests about the proposed extensions, along with progress on enhancing station capacity at major interchanges like Victoria, Bank and Tottenham Court Road:
- Michèle Dix, Managing Director Planning, TfL
- David Waboso, Director of Capital Programmes, London Underground, TfL
The Transport Committee meeting will take place on Tuesday, 17 January from 10am in the Chamber at City Hall (The Queen’s Walk, London SE1). Media and members of the public are invited to attend. The meeting can also be viewed via webcast.
Notes to editors:
- In his Transport Strategy, the Mayor has said he will work through TfL, with Thames Clippers, Port of London Authority and other relevant organisations, to increase the use of the river to transport people and goods.
- The Mayor’s Transport Strategy set out the intention to seek some longer-term extensions to the Tube network. Proposal 22 provided for the Mayor, through TfL and working with relevant stakeholders, to pursue longer-term schemes that will enhance the London Underground network and in particular the following specific line extensions: a privately funded extension of the Northern Line to Battersea; a potential southern extension to the Bakerloo line subject to resources and further study; and a link at Croxley to join the Watford branch of the Metropolitan line to Watford Junction (with funding to be secured by Hertfordshire County Council in conjunction with the government).
- See the Committee’s previous report on river services, London’s forgotten highway (Sept 2006).
- See more on the Committee’s ongoing work on the upgrade of the London Underground.
- Read the full agenda papers for the meeting.
- Caroline Pidgeon AM, Chair of the Transport Committee, is available for interview. See contact details below.
- As well as investigating issues that matter to Londoners, the London Assembly acts as a check and a balance on the Mayor.
For more details, please contact Dana Rothenberg in the Assembly Media Office on 020 7983 4603/4283. For out of hours media enquiries please call 020 7983 4000 and ask for the Assembly duty press officer. Non-media enquiries should be directed to the Public Liaison Unit, Greater London Authority, on 020 7983 4100.